I was recently struck by one of the many ads I see everyday where they used the phrase, “Where Price Meets Value”, so I decided to relate it back it to the logistics/transportation industry. The first step was to define Value so I turned to a definition from a well known sales trainer, Jeffrey Gitomer, which I believe says it all.
“Value is a combination of what you offer and what you perceive is in favor of your perspective customer, combined with what the perspective customer actually perceives is in favor of them”.
So do you sell value or price? This is a tough question for most sales people including freight brokers, truck brokers and freight agents. The reality is, most sales people in my experience, sell price and only top performers really understand how to sell value.
So what is your value proposition?
- Do you make it easy for customers to do business with you?
- Do you make it easy for your customers to communicate with you and your staff?
- Do your customers see an increase in productivity when using your service?
- Is your service reasonably priced and in line with the market for comparable services? (Note, I did not say the cheapest…good customer recognize VALUE)
- Can your service help your customer increase profits?
- Have you provided your customers the assurance needed to remove the perceived risk of doing business with you?
- How do you provide your customer value after the sale has been made?
Here are just a few things we do at LDi to provide more VALUE for our customers!
- All LDi customers have 24/7/365 access to our customer portal which gives them instant access to track shipments as well as the ability to retrieve relevant shipping documents including BOL’s, invoices and other paperwork at their convenience online.
- LDi offers a diverse range of services making us a one call solution for all their shippping needs including full truckload, partial truckload, less than truckload, intermodal rail and even international ocean freight services.
- All LDi branch locations are owned and operated by our freight agents in partnership with LDi so they typically offer 24/7/365 service and accessibility based upon the customer’s specific needs.
- LDi has a large and very diverse database of motor carriers including over 30,000 large, small and even private fleets to service our customer’s needs which allows us to provide them spot capacity even on short notice in many lanes.
- Our customers can receive an email notification every time a shipment delivers, giving them piece of mind and added visibility into their supply chain.
- 99%+ of our freight delivers claim free, in turn we are helping our clients improve their customer relationships as well as their profits.
So the next time you’re asked to compromise your price, remember to focus on your value proposition and stand up for the overall value you bring to the table. In other words share with your customer “where price meets value” when doing business with you! Customers will respect you for it and it will position you better to negotiate if you choose to do so.
Stay tuned for more blog posts to come but in the meantime “Follow” our Linkedin page or “Like” our Facebook page to learn more about LDi and why we are consistently ranked one of the Top 50 Logistics Providers by Inc. Magazine for the past 4 years!
CEO, Logistic Dynamics